History of Calvary Christian Center

In 1935 a small group of Pentecostal believers had a desire to establish a Full Gospel church on the south side of Louisville.  Under the leadership of Rev. Russell Pottorff Calvary Full Gospel Tabernacle was established on Collins Ct.  Due to damage from the 1937 flood, the church was forced to find a new location to worship.  In June of 1939 the congregation purchased a building at 4th and M streets for $3,500.

 

Calvary Assembly of God

On April 13, 1939 a business meeting was called to set Calvary Assembly of God in order as an Assemblies of God Fellowship.  Rev. O. E. Nash and Rev. T. E. Gannon presided.  Mr. Jacob Gruner (Dr. Leroy Gruner’s father), Mr. J. A. Hodges, and Mr. Albert Risen were chosen as the first official board.  In Sept. of 1940 Rev. Pottorff resigned as Pastor.  The next two Pastors served both as Pastor and District Superintendent for the Kentucky District, Rev. J. J. Humphries and Rev. Allen C. Trimble.

Experienced Growth

Due to growth experienced in the small building on 4th and M a new location was needed.  Under the direction of Pastor Roscoe Russell a facility was acquired at 4049 S. 5th street.  The facility was purchased from the Jefferson County Board of Education for $25,501.00.  The dedication of this building was held on May 10, 1964.

As the years passed, God blessed Calvary with many gifted and anointed ministers.  The church renovated the Sanctuary just prior to the calling of Pastor David Lewis and his family in May of 1988.  The building on 5th street then over 100 years old needed too much repair. After much prayer the church voted to sell the building on 5th Street in May of 2003.  For three years the church met in a temporary location where the church took on a very close family atmosphere.   At that time the church voted to change the name to Calvary Christian Center, Assembly of God.

New location

In June of 2007 Calvary began renting a beautiful new facility at 10710 Taylorsville Rd.  God once again blessed the church when He opened the door for the church to purchase the 17,000 sq ft building and 9 acres of property in April of 2008. Pastor and Sister Lewis celebrated their 20th Anniversary as Pastors as a part of the dedication service.  Sis. Anna Snyder was also honored for 60 years as a Sunday School teacher.  We named the education wing of the new building in her honor.

New Leadership

In May of 2013, on his 25th anniversary, Dr. David Lewis stepped down as Senior Pastor. Pastor Darren, who was serving as Youth/Worship Pastor, was unanimously elected to succeed his father becoming the churches Lead Pastor June 2nd, 2013. It is Pastor Darren’s vision to build C3AG into a strong mission’s minded, multi-cultural church with ministry locations throughout the community. With God’s blessing, we will see this accomplished in the coming years.

The new vision

During these years God has given us opportunity to minister to people from all over the world including: Kosovo, Cuba, Japan, Columbia, Panama, Ghana, Liberia, the Philippines, Democratic Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Taiwan, Vietnam, France, Benin, and India.  It is our desire to provide a place of worship for Spirit-filled believers from all over the world.  God has given us a rich heritage and we are thankful to Him for all that He has done in and through our church family.